Monday, July 21, 2008

Our Lady @ Sisquoc!

Hi Everyone!

Well, I survived Sisquoc. It's the only race I've done 3 times (2 years ago, it was my first race, after only owning my bike for <1 month). I don't have a lot to show for it, results-wise, but I do feel better about my fitness this year than last year. I raced the 1/2/3 race, and I did get dropped, but not until the 3rd lap this year, and I felt MUCH better about my climbing :-). I got gapped due to being behind a girl who had a rubbing brake, and I wasn't quite smart enough to notice the gap until it was too big to close. Oops. Then, although I did use all of my descending skills, hitting a top speed of 48mph, I couldn't catch back on. Anyway, I finished feeling pretty strong, at least until I tried to get off my bike and my hamstring cramped like nobody's
business. Ouch. I got 19th overall, out of a starting field of >30.
Only 24 finished, however...

Anyway, I don't have the exact results of the other Ranchers, so you'll have to wait for their reports. I do have to point out, though, that not only are chicken ranchers fast bike racers, they are great teammates. On the way to the race today, I ran over a nail and put a hole in my CAR tire...and by the time I got to the race it was well on its way to flat. Randy, Brett, and Mitch all helped me change my tire (basically not letting me do any of the work, but letting me get my hands dirty so it looked like I did), and Gabe and Blinger supervised the job :-). So I was happily on the road home without incident.
THANKS ALL!!!!

I was going to race tomorrow, but the thought of getting on the road at 5am is really unappealing, and with a work deadline looming that i forgot about, I might not see you in SLO tomorrow....and go to Worlds instead.

Have a great day, and thanks again. It's great to be a Chicken Rancher.

Kimberly Turner

PS. Also thanks to Charlie Zimmerman for his superb feed zone efforts.
He made taking a feed easier than ever.

No comments: